History from the 1800’s comes to life in these historic

buildings and land.  Local old timers call this the

Hendrickson Farm.

The Dogtrot Cabin was a popular architecture for

settlers from the 1850-1860’s. Marvel at the ax marks

on the hand-hewn and dove-tailed logs to only

imagine the time and attention of those times to build

a modest cabin.  This landmark provided a wagon trail

through the farm, and pioneers would travel over the Hendrickson land and top the ridge for their supplies in Berryville.

The 2-story, 18”limestone house was built in 1891, along with a stone outbuilding for drying fruit. The Hendrickson’s were peach farmers and specialized in dried peaches; however, they went bankrupt and the farm was later abandoned. Bonnie and Clyde used the house as a hideout when they made their run through the area in 1933, because they could see in all directions and could exit the property in several ways.

In the early 1970’s, George and Audina Amis purchased the farm and began repairing and revitalizing the limestone structure. They also added the living quarters by expanding the house to the east.  The third owners, Pat and Keith Lamb, purchased the farm in 1988. They chose to add onto the house with a bedroom on the south over the back porch as well as adding a separate guesthouse, a mirrored floor plan of 2 suites with modest kitchens, separate bedrooms, baths, living room and dining areas for additional close lodgings. Local “young-timers” still refer to it as Grandpa’s Farm Bed and Breakfast.

Tom Backal and Kathy Whitman changed the name and purchased Heritage Ranch in 2005, regarding it as having “good bones” and envisioning a bright future. They added the barn, greenhouse, and several smaller buildings. Following 6 years of extensive remodeling with additions of ensuite bedrooms, 2nd kitchen in the downstairs, upper 15’ x 20” deck, sunroom extension, outdoor kitchen, and terraced landscaping, they opened Heritage Ranch Bed and Breakfast.  Remodeling continued each winter over the next 5 years with the addition of a Stone County licensed commercial kitchen, completion of the unfinished basement and adding the 7th bedroom with a 12’ x 18’ lower deck, remodeling of living quarters, and creating wild life habitats on 83 acres.

It was a family retreat prior to opening in 2012, complete with basketball, pool, video games,  go carts, ATV, gator, archery and gun range, animals, and so much more for kids.

The farm land has not been sprayed with herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers during the years of Backal/Whitman ownership and would qualify as an organic farm.

Farm to table dinner experiences were open to the public from 2013-14. Feasts were a 7-course dinner with BYOW-Bring Your Own Wine.

History

Bringing the country to the city slicker